Nail Polishes I Bought for the Name

This blog is a safe space, so I feel comfortable telling you that I have a problem -- a serious problem -- with buying nail polishes for the name. Like, I will not buy a polish -- even if I like the color -- if I don't like the name, and, if I really like the name of a polish, I will buy it even if I don't really like it/ will never wear it. Half the fun of nail polish collection releases is reading the names of all the new polishes. Themed collections are particular fun.

Like, somehow or another I manage to convince myself that I need a particular nail polish because I like the name. Any nail polish brand can name any polish of any color after anything in Game of Thrones and I'll just be like, "take my money." For example, I have a polish that's named after one of my favorite characters on Game of Thrones, and I legitimately felt like I would be letting her down if I didn't buy it. Why? I don't know. I know that she's fictional, but I had to have it all the same. 

These are some of my favorite polishes that I bought for the name: 

Sansa by Zoya - So, if you know me at all, you know that I have an unhealthy obsession with everything Game of Thrones/ASOIAF related. I also have an unhealthy obsession with nail polish, so, when those two categories overlap, you can bet that there will be trouble. I bought this polish because its named after my favorite character from the Game of Thrones/ASOIAF universe, Sansa Stark (well, I don't really know if it was specifically named after her, but it's good enough for me). I know that Sansa is a really unpopular character, but I actually really like her, and I'm super interested in her character arc. Plus, I think she's going to end up having a really important role to play in who sits on the Iron Throne (If you don't watch Game of Thrones, you can ignore everything that I just said). I bought Sansa purely for the name, but I actually really like the color as well. It's a deep, blackened purple with a ton of gold glitter mixed in. I think it would be perfect for fall and winter, but I wear it all year round. Its opaque in two coats.


Sean Bean is his own Spoiler Alert by Dollish Polish - Hats off to you, Dollish Polish, I think this may be the best -- and most accurately -- named polish ever. Based on my googling, Sean Bean has died at least 17 times in both movies and TV. So, yes, he is very much his own spoiler alert. According to Dollish Polish, each shade of glitter in this polish represents the color of a costume Sean Bean wore for a role in which he died. I believe there's only 13 shades of glitter, so, obviously, it doesn't represent all of his magnificent deaths, but its close enough. I bought this polish because I love Sean Bean as Boromir in the LOTR and as Ned Stark in Game of Thrones (no surprise there).


Nothing Burns Like the Cold by Illyrian Polish - This polish, Nothing Burns Like the Cold, is a reference to a quote from A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin: "Nothing burns like the cold. But only for a while. Then it gets inside you and starts to fill you up, and after a while you don't have the strength to fight it.” (Raise your hand if you're surprised that I would buy a Game of Thrones inspired polish). Like all of these polishes, I bought it mostly for the name, but I also love, love, love the shade. As you can see, it's a cerulean blue with a ton of blue glitter. This is super gorgeous and eye catching when you get it on your nails, although I will say that the formula is not the best. This takes three coats to be opaque and it has a tendency to be streaky and patchy. However, for me, the color is worth working for.


My Sun and Stars by Illyrian Polish - This is another Game of Thrones inspired polish! (Surprise, surprise). The name is a reference to the term of endearment Daenerys Targaryen uses for her husband, Khal Drogo. (He calls her "Moon of my Life," she calls him "My Sun and Stars," it's cute, oaky?) I bought this polish because I love Dany's character, but also because the polish is super pretty. The polish itself is a clear base packed with bronze, copper, silver, and violet glitter. It dazzles, okay? It just dazzles. This polish can be opaque in three to four coats, or you can use it as a topper.


House Mormont by Esmaltes Da Kelly - Guess what this polish was inspired by? If you guessed Game of Thrones, you're correct. House Mormont is a family in Game of Thrones/ASOIAF; they live on Bear Island; their sigil is a bear; their words are "here we stand," and they are AMAZING. Most Game of Thrones fans are most familiar with Jorah Mormont, who is kind of like Daenerys Targaryen's adviser/protector/man who is hopelessly in love with her, but Lyanna Mormont is among the best characters on the show. She's a super awesome, super tough little girl who gives inspiring speeches and writes awesome letters. Like, I'm not even doing her justice here. Go and watch the show if you want to understand how amazing she is. Anyway, House Mormont is a clear base with lots of orange and green glitter; you can use it as a topper.


Puerto Rico by Powder Perfect - I believe that this is the first polish on this list that isn't Game of Thrones related. Yay! Finally, I can prove that sometimes I also buy other types of nail polish! I bought this particular polish because I'm half Puerto Rican, my mom is from Puerto Rico, and a lot of my family still lives there. In terms of the color itself, it's a tad ordinary. It's just a basic purple cream polish, but it is pretty and it has an excellent formula. In some lights, the polish looks almost neon, but really it's just a bright, blue-toned purple. Like I said, it's a fairly ordinary color, and I almost certainly wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't for the name.


Peridot for August by Julep - Including this polish on this list is sort of cheating because I didn't actually buy it. If you read my Birthday Haul blog, you know that this polish was a birthday freebie from Ulta. It's from the Birthstone Nail Polish Collection by Julep (in case you didn't know, peridot is the birthstone of August). I like the color because, honestly, I like almost all green polishes. However, the big attraction of this polish for me is the name. Obviously, August is my birth month, so the name is exciting to me.


Ugh, nail polish names are so much fun. I may have to do a part two of this post because there are so many fun nail polish names out there.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Tarte 9 Ways To Shine Cheek Wardrobe

The Violet One Lash Primer by Milani: Review

Review: The New Classics Palette by e.l.f.